Karen Civil (PR Guru)


Behind most solid PR campaigns that stem from the world of music and celebrity are the unsung hero’s such as interns, assistants and advisors. These individuals earn a modest wage and although they live backstage and get a first hand experience at the so-called rock star lifestyle their praises are rarely sung.

Karen Civil is an individual of such obscurity, women praise her, she has pictures with half of the industries high rollers but if you were to ask someone familiar with her name and brand what she actually does I can almost guarantee that they would be unable to answer that question with a concise definition. Karen describes herself as an “Entrepreneur, Social Curator, Philanthropist, Builder of Great Things…” as per her social media biographies.

Her roots stem from radio, she began as an intern at world renowned station Hot 97 located in New York and then moved on to work with Young Money Entertainment (A record label founded by Lil Wayne, which houses house hold names such as; Drake, Nicki Minaj, Tyga & Christina Milian). Her first major breakthrough whilst at Young Money was her ‘Weezy Thanx You’ website which allowed Lil Wayne to reply to a multitude of his fans at once whilst incarcerated.

Following this she was poached by Dr. Dre and installed as the head of social media & marketing at Beats by Dre, a company that was recently acquired by media market leaders Apple. She then used Instagram as her main marketing tool and proceeded to award free Beats products to popular and prominent athletes, musicians and public figures each that have huge social media followings. This then created a demand for the product as consumers were seeing their idols associated with the brand.

What Karen does better than most is innovate, she is able to reach out to the general public, projects a very humble lifestyle and finds ways to advertise which although apparent are very overlooked at the same time. At Present she finds herself owner of LiveCivil her lifestyle brand and manager of up and coming rap artist Nipsey Hussle. The Proud2Pay model, which she founded with Nipsey, has found a way to generate album sales and offer the fans a unique connection and experience with the artists they support may that be; receiving a phone call, one off memorabilia, exclusive content or pop-up concerts.

With such an astronomic rise off of very few opportunities Karen has proved she is no flash in the pan, slowly building an empire and power connections in both the music and technology industry she has definitely made herself one to watch in the near future.

Sources:


Written by Jordan Huggins 

8 comments:

  1. Well she seems accomplished. I sometimes wonder what PR work goes into music artists and celebrities I like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, It's interesting to look behind the scenes and at the people effectively pulling the strings and that was my aim with his post.

      Delete
  2. Great read and some very good points. Karen Civil and others like her are very much unsung heroes. The musicians often get the limelight but the people who are much more selfless are often considered afterthoughts. I have huge respect for Karen Civil and people like her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a really good read, kudos to the author on the engaging commentary. This was really informative, I had no idea who Karen Civil was but I have definately seen her genius in the works and have fallen victim to her PR techniques ! Great woman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could help inform and that you enjoyed the post, really appreciate the comment.

      Delete
  4. Wow, I'm a big fan and part of the hip hop culture.
    I think it's funny how events happen and the pubic hardly know anything about it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a really vast and interesting world that you rarely get a look at unless you're apart of an 'inner circle'.

      Delete
  5. Wow, I'm a big fan and part of the hip hop culture.
    I think it's funny how events happen and the pubic hardly know anything about it...

    ReplyDelete